“The first building used for religious purposes in the DuBois area was a tavern in Luthersburg in 1825. There were no hymn books or Bibles and all services were held at night by candlelight. This was the first structure known as The Chapel of Contemplation. When the Chapel burned to the ground under strange circumstances, it was rebuilt in the city of DuBois. The second Chapel of Contemplation was erected at the corner of East Long Ave. and Church St. in 1874. All that remains of the second chapel is a vacant lot with a burned out ruin which has been overgrown with weeds. The second Chapel burned to the ground on June 16, 1888.”
Both Chapels featured the symbol of the All-Seeing Eye or Eye of Providence rather than traditional religious symbols.
The Eye of Providence is a symbol showing an eye often surrounded by rays of light and usually enclosed by a triangle. It is sometimes interpreted as representing the Eye of God watching over humankind in Divine Providence.In the modern era, the most notable depiction of the eye is the reverse of the Great Seal of the United States, which appears on the United States one-dollar bill.
Imagery of an All-Seeing Eye can be traced back to Egyptian mythology and the Eye of Horus. Buddhist texts like the Mahaparinibbana Sutta also refer to Buddha as the “Eye of the World.” It is frequently used to depict the image of God in Caodaism.
In Medieval and Renaissance European iconography, the Eye (often with the addition of an enclosing triangle) was an explicit image of the Christian Trinity. Seventeenth-century depictions of the Eye of Providence sometimes show it surrounded by clouds or sunbursts.